Have you been busy decluttering and now looking at your options to transition items out of your home?
Here are our top 5 tips for selling online.
- Write a detailed description and include photographs of your items, including any imperfections. Best to be up front with potential buyers which will save you time in the long run.
- Set a realistic price. At the end of the day, your goal is to hopefully sell the item. Look at other similar listings to see how much they are listed for and how long they have been listed. Be prepared to negotiate and have a bottom figure in mind. I usually think of my bottom line price first and then add a little on top to leave room for negotiation.
- Give yourself a time limit to sell an item. This may vary depending upon the type of item and its sale price but you don’t want to have something listed for months in the hope that someone will buy it. The reality unfortunately is that sometimes nobody wants what you have to sell.
- Have a ‘Plan B’. If your item hasn’t sold and you are nearing your self-imposed time limit, determine what your next steps will be – donate, recycle, gift? Putting it back on the shelf to go through this process again next year should not be one of your options.
- Don’t rush to give out your address or personal information. We have to play it safe and unfortunately can’t trust everyone we come into contact with online. I usually give my number and ask that they call me to confirm a time and then I will provide my address. I also make sure I have contact details (name and phone number) for the buyer.